Sunday, December 11, 2011

Constant Vigilance

December 11, 2011 – Philemon; Hebrews 1-4

S: Hebrews 2:1 – Therefore we must give the more earnest heed to the things we have heard, lest we drift away.
O: Pay attention to the things we have heard (the Word) or we may drift away.
A: One of the most dangerous places for me is not when I am deep in the darkest valley or high on the mountaintop but that “in between” place where everything is fine. No drama. No spiritual attack. Just okay. This is where complacency can set in and tell me that I don’t need to be in the Word today or I can miss church today or this ministry has plenty of people to do that – they don’t really need me. Complacency can be a powerful weapon in the hands of the Enemy. People just slowly slip away and they are gone before we even recognize what is going on. In my former life I struggled with addiction. The day I had been clean and sober for one year this older man who had been sober forever walked up to me and gave me two words that I will never forget. His words of advice to me were “constant vigilance”. I have learned that these words apply whether in the struggle of an addict to become free from the bondage of their addiction or in my daily walk with Jesus. Whether I talk about my sobriety or my salvation Jesus has given me precious gifts that I must protect at all costs. Constant vigilance is the key for me.
P: Father God thank you for your Word. Thank you for the freedom that is available through your Word. Lord let me never grow weary of hearing your Word, of reading your Word, of being a student of YOU. Let me remain forever vigilant against complacency. I want to be with you forever Lord. Don’t let me slip away. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment