Sunday, December 4, 2011

Growing Pains

Sunday 12/4/11: Ephesians 1-4.

S: 4:1-3 – I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you to walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness and longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
O: Paul is writing to the church at Ephesus and encouraging the believers there to walk in unity.
A: Jesus came to teach us a radical love. An unconditional love. To walk “worthy of the calling with which you were called”. To love as Jesus loved requires us as believers to grow up. To love others before ourselves requires maturity. It requires us to sometimes take the focus off of ourselves and our feelings and put our eyes back on Jesus. When I get hurt or offended it is because I am focusing on myself. On how I feel. But when my eyes are on Jesus I can love the person in front of me in spite of myself. I can forgive quickly and easily. I can be right where God has placed me. I can be right with the world around me. I can walk worthy of the calling Jesus has placed on my life. Don’t get me wrong. I blow it. A lot. My selfishness and self-centeredness try to take center stage but today that stage is reserved for the one whose blood was sped for me. His name is Jesus. His love is enough. His grace is endless. His mercy endures forever.
P: Father God forgive me for my selfishness and for all the times my focus shifts from you to me. Lord I am nothing without you. Let my walk not be a hindrance to you but a welcome sign to your kingdom. It’s time for me to grow up Lord that I may sow seeds of unity on earth as it is in heaven. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment