Saturday, August 21, 2010

Prospering in a Tough Time

S- jeremiah 29:7 - "Also, seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the Lord for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper."

O - The people of God were in a bad situation, captives in a foreign country. Their life was out of their control. The natural response is to be angry, complain, fight against it, or give up and become depressed. Jeremiah said to accept it, and pray into it and that God would prosper them there. The serenity prayer asks for the ability to accept what you can't change, change what you can change, and have the wisdom to know which is which. In this case, they couldn't change their circumstances so Jeremiah said to stop fighting it, and go with it! Hitting your head repeatedly against a brick wall does not damage the wall, but does damage your head. This passage is telling me that I can prosper even in a difficult situation through acceptance and prayer. Life can go on despite the most crushing circumstances. Ps 118 tells us to give thanks and trust God because his "love endures forever".

A - I will seek God's wisdom as I face challenges, and pray more and complain less.

P - Lord, show us what to accept and what to reject, when to move forward and when to strategically retreat. Help us to know in whatever circumstance we find ourselves, that you "love endures forever" and that "the Lord is with me: I will not be afraid." All I ask Lord is that I would know your presence and hear your voice and have the grace to respond rightly. In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment