Tuesday, November 23, 2010

BAD YEAST!

by Cathy Weymouth

Tuesday 11/23/10 Matthew 14-16 - BAD YEAST!

S - Matt 16:6 "Be careful," Jesus said to them, "Be on your guard against the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees."

O - When the disciples went across the lake forgetting to take bread with them, Jesus used the opportunity to enlighten them in a spiritual matter.  He warned them about embracing the teaching of the Pharisees and Sadducees.  The Pharisees were legalistic and hypocritical.  Legalism is trying to receive acceptance, with God, others or yourself, through your behavior and performance.

A - I struggle with legalism. But I'm working on it... I've spent years walking away from being hypercritical - especially of myself and those close to me.  I don't want to judge by behavior anymore. Jesus paid the price - all of it. I don't need to "measure up" to be accepted.  If Grace means that Jesus did it all for me, then I am negating His finished work when I want to take some credit/blame and put it on myself.

P - Lord, please set us (and me!) free from legalism.  Teach us the Grace Walk.  Set us free to just be.

No comments:

Post a Comment