Sunday, December 19, 2010

Living Surrender

S: John 6:38. For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but the will of him who sent me.
O: Jesus knew that he would be betrayed and crucified and yet he came not to assert his own will but to carry out the will of God.
A: As we prepare to celebrate the birth of Jesus I can’t help but think of the destiny that awaited the Christ child. Yet Jesus lived completely surrendered to the will of the Father. He took on our sins and carried them for us. He hurt, he cried, he was every bit like one of us, experiencing life. It is easy for me to be completely surrendered during the storms of my life but what about when the storm passes and the waters return to calm? It can be tempting during these calm times to turn to God and say “I got this” or decide that we aren’t sure we like the course God has us on so we will be “masters of our own destiny”. Jesus’ entire life shows us how we are supposed to live – completely surrendered to the Father. He wants access to ALL the areas of our life all the time. If we keep him out or use God like a pinch hitter we are limiting what he can do in us and through us.
P: Father God forgive me for all the times that I have denied you complete access. Father my desire is to live as Jesus did, completely surrendered to your will. I have lived the life of doing things my way and I do not want to go back there. I want to live each day according to your will, your plans. Set me free from selfishness and pride. I surrender to you and you alone. Fill me with more of you and use me to bring light in the darkness. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment