Tuesday, January 11, 2011

THE HEART OF A LOVER

by Cathy Weymouth

Tuesday 1/11/11 Gen 27,28; Psalm 4; Luke 11 - THE HEART OF A LOVER

S - Luke 11:5-8 JBP - Then he added, "If any of you has a friend, and goes to him in the middle of the night and says, 'Lend me three loaves, my dear fellow, for a friend of mine has just arrived after a journey and I have no food to put in front of him'; and then he answers from inside the house, 'Don't bother me with your troubles. The front door is locked and my children and I have gone to bed. I simply cannot get up now and give you anything!' Yet, I tell you, that even if he won't get up and give him what he wants simply because he is his friend, yet if he persists, he will rouse himself and give him everything he needs."

O - Jesus was sharing a story with his disciples after one of them asked Him to teach them how to pray.  This  illustrates the willingness of our Father to answer prayer - especially when we are persistent.  But this story  really reminded me of my brother, who has a very kind, giving heart.

A - My brother unexpectedly was returning to his camp when he happened upon 4 people from Canada whose van had broken down. This was recently in cold Vermont; they were here ice climbing on Mt. Pisgah.  He gathered them up into his small truck, took them home to his warm camp, fed them a wonderful dinner, offered them showers and a bed for the night!  He was nothing like the neighbor in this scripture!! In the middle of the night, a phone call awakened him - the woman driving from Montreal coming to get some of them was stuck in the snowbank several miles away.  Back into the truck they went to rescue her - all in the middle of the night before he had to get up for a hard physical workday as a stone mason. I love my brother's heart.

P - Father, may we be lovers - lovers of you and lovers of people. May we respond to the needy without a blink of an eye. May we show your heart by the way we welcome others into our home, smile and embrace people in the market place, give out hugs where ever we go!  Cause us to be extravagant lovers - like my brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment