Sunday, February 13, 2011

Am I a laborer?

S: Acts 20:35 – I have shown you in every way, by laboring like this, that you must support the weak. And remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He said, “It is more blessed to given than to receive”.
O: Paul knew he would find trouble in Jerusalem. He is urging the Ephesians to take care of other people and to give to others. These were people who were overseers of the early church and Paul is encouraging them to continue their work even if he is not physically present with them. Paul refers to the church as “the church of God which He purchased with his own blood”.
A: The words of Paul should ring true to us today. As we examine our lives in 2011 are we laboring for the church of God? Do we support those that are weaker than we are? Do we believe that it is more blessed to give than to receive? Or are we comfortable? Do we sacrifice our time and our resources to help those that are struggling? Do we take phone calls from those facing desperate times even when its not convenient or do we simply press the “decline” button on our phones? Do we give sacrificially or only when its easy? My journey may not be your journey but I made a decision to follow Jesus. I am far from perfect at it. There are lots of areas of my life where I fall short. We are the present day custodians of the church that Jesus died for. Are we doing our part? Are we serving? Are we giving?
P: Father God thank you for the early church and your disciples who came to show us the way. Teach me today to be a true disciple. To labor without expectation of a reward. To give even when I don’t have much to give. I give my life to you Lord – make of it what you will. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment