Sunday, February 6, 2011

True Disciples

S: Acts 13:46 – Then Paul and Barnabas grew bold and said “It was necessary that the word of God should be spoken to you first but since you reject it and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, behold we turn to the gentiles.
O: Paul and Barnabas were sent out by the Holy Spirit. They preached first to the Jews and then to the Gentiles. The Jews looked down upon the Gentiles and because they did not find them “worthy” of receiving God’s word the Jews themselves rejected the words of the disciples and did not receive the gift of everlasting life.
A: We must be careful not to fall into that same trap. We are not called to pick and choose who receives salvation. We are simply called to spread the good news to all nations, to all people. If we are obedient to what God has told us to do – that means we will share the message with sinner and saint alike. Jesus was ridiculed for hanging out with sinners. We are called to be true disciples of Christ – to follow in his footsteps. To boldly call sin for what it is and offer those trapped by it a way out. No matter who they are. No matter what they have done. God offers each of us a way out. There was a time I was not deserving of salvation but God used some amazing people to offer it to me anyway. I owe God my life. I am eternally grateful that those people did not judge me by what I looked like on the outside but instead put their arms around me and offered me a new way of life.
P: Father God thank you for offering me a way out. Let me not judge who else deserves to be set free but to offer everyone around the freedom that I have found through a relationship with you. Thank you that there is freedom for everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment