Sunday, June 26, 2011

Open Up!

Sunday 6/26/11. Jonah 1-4; 2 Timothy 2

S – Scripture O – Observation A – Application P – Prayer

S: Jonah 1:16 (MSG) – The sailors were impressed no longer terrified by the sea but in awe of God. They worshipped God, offered a sacrifice and made vows.
O: Just a few lines earlier the story told us that these same sailors were pleading to their “gods” that they would not perish in the storm. After Jonah is thrown overboard God quiets the sea and as a result these same sailors worship the one true God.
A: Once you experience the miracle power of God you are changed. The sailors were frightened and begging their “gods” to save them but nothing happened. Jonah tells them to throw him overboard because he has disobeyed God and when they do God quiets the storm around them. Their gods couldn’t save them but Jonah’s could and did. The sailors were in awe of God’s power. If I am willing to open up my life to non-believers they too can see the power of God at work through me. It doesn’t require me to be perfect – just willing to share my life with those I work with, those I interact with every day. What if I invited one of my non-believer friends to church and they saw someone get healed? Or someone publicly confess their sin and cry out for help from God? Do you think that person could possibly leave church the same way they came in? We don’t have to have the perfect words or the best testimony ever heard…….we just have to be willing to let God work through us. God can use us to plant seeds today that will bear fruit later and all we need to do is share our lives with those around us.
P: Father God I offer myself to you to build with me and do with me as you will. Relieve me of the bondage of self that I may better do your will. Take away my difficulties that I may bear witness to those I would help of your power, your love and your way of life. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment