Thursday, November 24, 2011

ARISE

Matthew 17-9

S: Matthew 17:7 “But Jesus came and touched them and said, ‘Arise, and do not be afraid.’”

O: The three disciples with Jesus on the mountain became terrified when they heard God’s voice speaking. They had just seen Jesus transfigured, along with the appearance of Moses and Elijah. This was just a bit too much for them. Jesus’ simple touch and calm voice gently commanded them to rise up and have no fear.

A: What a great verse to keep in one’s heart. When the terrors of daily life strike, we can simply repeat the words of Jesus to arise and have no fear, don’t be afraid. Jesus is reminding us that we can really do that which strikes fear in our hearts. I’ve learned over the years those matters that I didn’t think I’d ever be able to face or get though that simply by arising and putting one foot in front of the other, I did it – I survived. I will admit I was afraid and plain angry that I had to go through those trials, but I am here to say that a little voice in my heart kept me going. I cannot take credit because I wanted to crumple up and hibernate until it was over. How much stronger are we when we arise, listen to Jesus and while we may really be afraid, we do it anyway, because He tells us to have no fear? I’m still here along with many others simply because we heard that gentle voice.

P: Dear Jesus, where I am hesitant, afraid, unwilling, defiant, please allow me to hear You whisper to me “do not be afraid” and to rise to the challenge. If I focus on You and not the fear, I may amaze myself with what I can do instead of turning tail and running. I am thankful!

No comments:

Post a Comment