Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Called to be Cheerleaders!

by Cathy Weymouth

Tuesday 11/29/11 1 Thess 4,5; 2 Thess 1-3 - Called to be Cheerleaders!

S=Scripture  O=Observation A=Application  P=Prayer

S - 1 Thess 5:11, So go on CHEERING AND ENCOURAGING each other, as I have no doubt you are doing.  JB Phillips

O - Paul is exhorting the Thessalonian church to stay alert while waiting for the Lord's return.  And to be an encouragement to one another in the meantime.

A - In the message Bible, it is worded, "So speak encouraging words to one another.  BUILD UP HOPE so you'll all be together in this..."   If we want to make an impact into people's lives, how we speak to each other can make a huge difference. I love the word "cheering" in this verse.  When I was a teen, I was a cheerleader;  I think I still am!  I love to encourage and build up.  I think it's a great way to foster hope and movement in the right direction.  As a friend said to me yesterday, loving and validating and seeing the gifts and strengths in another works better at motivating than a hard approach does.

P - Father, may we all be cheerleaders, building up hope in one another.  May we foster movement in the right direction through positive words rather than negative ones.  And help us to remember we are not responsible for other people, their lives and the outcome, we are just responsible to love and encourage them.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment