Sunday, July 31, 2011

The Potter's Hands

Sunday, July 31, 2011. Reading: Isaiah 63, 64; Psalm 107; John 2


S: Isaiah 64:8 – But now O Lord, you are our Father. We are the clay and you our potter; And all we are the work of your hand.
O: We are like clay in the potter’s hand.
A: This verse fills me with such awe. Have you ever watched a potter at work? It’s messy work. The potter’s wheel spins, sometimes fast and sometimes slow but it’s not the wheel that does the work. It’s the hands. Those hands are carefully wrapped around a lump of clay and with a little pressure here, a little pressure there something begins to take shape. There is no formula. What is being created is born out of the heart and vision of the potter. The potter’s hands are sure and steady gently creating something only the potter can see. Just like God’s work in us - A little pressure here; A gentle nudge there. Creating something out of a messy lump that only He can see; sometimes realizing something isn’t quite right and bringing us back to the form of the “lump” and starting over. All we need to do is stay pliable in the hands of the potter – by realizing the clay has no power of it’s own. All power comes from the hands and all we have to do is surrender ourselves to the process. A little pressure here; a little trim there. I can’t wait to see what this lump is going to turn out to be!
P: Father God – Thank you for being in control. Thank you for your love and vision that are over my life – molding, shaping and forming me into the person you would have me be. This lump of clay is often marred with imperfections but you see only the vision you have for the vessel I will be one day. I surrender my heart, my soul, my life, my “imperfections” to you today. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment