Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Jesus, Our Scapegoat

by Cathy Weymouth

Tuesday 4/5/11 Ruth 1,2; Psalm 53,61; 2 Cor 5 - Jesus, Our Scapegoat

S - 2 Cor 5:21 JBP & MSG, For God caused Christ, who himself knew nothing of sin, actually to be sin for our sakes, so that in Christ we might be made good with the goodness of God.  God put the wrong on Him who never did anything wrong, so we could be put right with God.

O - Jesus became our scapegoat - the innocent Lamb, who knew no sin, carried no sin, experienced no sin, to be our sin-carrier. In that way, the sin was completely removed from us and put upon Jesus - so sin is now gone.  Finished.  Disappeared.  Carried Away.  It is not on me or you.  Why do we focus on it so much, then??

A - The Lord has been teaching me a lot lately about the scapegoat (Leviticus 16). Have you ever been accused of something that wasn't your responsibility or fault?  It doesn't feel so good - but it does teach us what Jesus did on our behalf.  All of the sins of the nation were put on the head of the goat which was sent off into the wilderness alone to die.  And the nation was cleansed - completely.

P - Jesus, may I appreciate what you have done for me to a greater depth.  Thank you for taking upon Yourself all my stuff.  Thank you for removing it from me.  It must have felt horrible to carry the blame and burden for my sin.  Thank you for being willing to do that. May I walk now - in the goodness of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment