Tuesday, May 10, 2011

NO NEED TO DEFEND MYSELF

by Cathy Weymouth

Tuesday 5/10/11 2 Sam 18; Ps 56; Mt 27 - NO NEED TO DEFEND MYSELF

S -Matthew 27:12-14 JBP, But while the chief priests and elders were making their accusations, he made no reply at all. So Pilate said to him, "Can you not hear the accusations they're bringing against you?" To the governors amazement, Jesus did not answer a single one of their accusations.

O - The chief priests and elders met to discuss how to handle this Jesus.  They brought him before Pilate the Governor and proceeded to bring false accusations against him.  Jesus, however, did not defend himself.  Why didn't he? I believe it might be because he knew His Father's will concerning his destination of the cross. He had already worked through the struggle of submitting his will to his Father in the Garden of Gesthemane; now he was on the destination of fulfilling that.  Why bother defending himself then?  The course was already in progress; the verdict already predicted.

A - How easy it is to get defensive; to state my case.  People have said that I could have become a lawyer!  This isn't necessarily always a good trait, however.  I could learn from David in Psalm 56: 3,4, "When I am afraid, I will trust in you.  In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid.  What can mortal man do to me?" God knows my journey, my destination, and if I'd trust more in that, I could relax and not need to defend myself.

P - Lord, this life is really about trusting You.  How easy it is to slip off the trusting trail.  Give us courage today and faith to trust that you are in control.  Help us to be less defensive and more trusting, ready to walk the journey you have marked out for us. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment