Sunday, May 8, 2011

Teach me to Love

S: Matthew 25:35-40: for I was hungry and you gave me food; I was thirsty and you gave me drink: I was a stranger and you took me in. I was naked and you clothed me. I was sick and you visited me. I was in prison and you came to me. Then the righteous will answer Him saying “Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you or thirsty and give you drink? ”When did we see you a stranger and take you in or naked and clothe you? Or when did we see you sick or in prison and come to you?” And the king will answer and say to them “Assuredly I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren you did it to Me”.
O: Jesus is talking to his disciples about his return when he will take his place upon the judgment seat to judge all of the nations. Jesus is teaching that as we do for those right in front of us – we do for him.
A: Jesus instructed us to love others as we love ourselves. Love will allow us to see beyond what the world sees and see the needs of those standing right in front of us. Those that are hungry, thirsty, naked or strangers; those that are sick or in prison. Those in our churches, our workplaces, our schools who are lonely, sick and in bondage. Love requires more of us than opening our wallets. It requires us to feed and clothe and visit. To wade right into the lives of those in front of us who are suffering. Love may require that we be inconvenienced, that we sacrifice and that we get dirty on occasion. There is no sacrifice I can make that will equal the ultimate sacrifice that Jesus made for me. That is love.
P: Thank you Jesus for loving me at a time in my life when I was not very loveable in the eyes of the world. There is nothing I need in my life today that you have not provided and taken care of. Forgive me for my shortsightedness – those times when my vision doesn’t extend beyond me and my life. Lord give me your eyes to see those all around me who are hungry and suffering – those in need of your love. Give me one person to share your love with today. Teach me to love those here in front of me as you have loved me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment