Sunday, May 1, 2011

Loyalty

S: 1 Chronicles 14:15 – And it shall be, when you hear the sound of marching in the tops of the mulberry trees, then you shall go out to battle for God has gone out before you to strike the camp of the Philistines.
O: David is seeking direction from God as to whether or not to go into battle against the Phillistines.
A: David was loyal. As we learn more about David one of the things that strikes me is that David didn’t move without seeking God. He didn’t go into battle without consulting God first. He didn’t rely on his own strength and wisdom but submitted all of his decisions to God. He had right relationship with God. David understood from whom all wisdom and strength and power comes from and he was plugged into his power source. When I find myself discouraged or exhausted I am learning to stop and ask myself these simple questions: 1) Did I go to God in prayer about this before I embarked on this adventure? and 2) Am I wading into battle on my own strength or am I plugged into God’s? Loyalty is a discipline that can be learned. It’s lonely when you get into the midst of a battle and you find out you’ve entered the battlefield alone because you ran way out ahead of God. We can become loyal followers of God just like David by following his example – bring everything we face to God in prayer and then wait for him to say “Go”. This time of waiting is often times the very place that God will prepare us and sharpen us for the battle ahead of us.
P: Father God I thank you for your word. It is my desire Lord to be your loyal follower. To follow where YOU lead. To walk in all YOUR ways. To submit every area of my life to you. I love you Lord. Grant me strength and power to fight the battles that YOU lead me to & may the victory be yours and yours alone. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment