Thursday, October 20, 2011

Be Ready

Job6-8; Acts 12

S=Scripture; O=Observation; A=Application; P=Prayer

S: Acts 12:8 “Then the angel said to him, ‘Gird yourself and tie your sandals;’ and so he did. And he said to him, ‘Put on your garment and follow me.’”

O: Peter’s been imprisoned and scheduled to be executed. He is chained to two soldiers, one on his left and one on his right. Guards are standing by outside the door watching over the prison. There is no human way to escape. The Lord sends his angel who tells Peter to get ready and follow him. The angel leads Peter to freedom.

A: Peter was sleeping when the light from the Lord appeared. He actually had to get ready to leave the prison cell. Once Peter awoke though, he did as directed and it led to his freedom. I think I need to ‘gird’ myself with the light of our Lord, to put on my shoes and be ready to walk down His path, and to clothe myself in the Word. I don’t know when Jesus will be coming, but I don’t want to get caught sleeping. I want to be ready to escape from this world into the eternal life promised by our Father. It’s a simple matter actually – Jesus asked us to follow Him; no one can get to the Father except through Him. We can escape our sins and enjoy the freedom of forgiveness by having a relationship with Jesus.

P: Lord by your goodness and mercy, I have every opportunity to follow You always. I ask that I not only prepare myself, but show me how to help others to be ready and not be caught sleeping when Jesus comes for us. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment