Saturday, October 8, 2011

The Widow's Two Mites

S – Luke 21: 2 “And he saw a poor certain widow putting in two mites”.

O – Jesus takes notice to a poor widow walking up to the place where offerings are being given and he sees she has placed in her two mites.

A – It’s funny how I can have some preconceived notions when I read some of the stories in the Bible. When I first read about the poor widow and her two mites I imagined this little old lady, hunched over, walking slowly up to where they were taking the offerings and then tossing in her two little, tiny, copper coins, saying this is all that I have, not worth much, might as well just throw it in. Then Holy Spirit comes along and paints me a new picture and tells me….She wasn’t saying this is all I have, this is all that I’m worth. She was saying ,” He is worth all I have!” “ He is worth all I can give of me!” Her focus wasn’t on what she “didn’t have” but “ what she had to give.” She could have looked at what the others were giving grown discouraged and decide not to give her two little mites, but because her focus was on God and His Kingdom she gave extravagantly! So, I have to ask myself in light of this story….. Am I serving and giving with a heart that is focused on Him and the Kingdom of God? When I give all of me whether in offerings or servitude, whether big or small, if I give with a heart that says, “He is worth all I have! He is worth all of me!” Jesus takes notice.

P – Father help me to see that it isn’t about what I don’t have, but what I do have. May my hearts attitude be that You are worth all I have! You are worth all of me! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment