Sunday, October 16, 2011

Refiner's Fire

Sunday, October 16, 2011: Malachi 3-4; Psalm 148; Acts 5

REFINER’S FIRE.

S: Malachi 3:2-3 – But who can endure the day of his coming? And who can stand when He appears? For he is like a refiner’s fire and like a launderer’s soap. He will sit as a refiner and a purifier of silver; He will purify the sons of Levi And purge them as gold and silver. That they may offer to the Lord an offering of righteousness.

O: The Lord will purify and refine the sons of Levi so that their offering will be an offering of righteousness.

A: Refiner’s fire. Launderer’s Soap. Purify. Purge. These are the words used to describe the process necessary to offer an offering of righteousness. My first thought when I read this was that this is going to be unpleasant and painful. But does it have to be? I am not the person I used to be and Jesus gets all the credit for that. I have honestly had very little to do with that. I have been taken through seasons and circumstances that have “purged” and “refined” me. I know that some of the seasons I have walked through were painful and difficult. But in all honesty I can’t remember what most of them were all about. I also know that I am still not the person I want to be when I am presented to my Lord. I need more fire. I need more soap. I also know that whatever process the Lord will lead me through he will do so in love. Our seasons & circumstances are not a punishment but a process. A silversmith must sit with his eyes steadily fixed on the furnace for if the time necessary for refining is exceeded even by a minute the silver will be injured. While I walk through my refining fire and my laundering the Lord has his eyes fixed upon me the entire time. His love and wisdom will be fully engaged in my process. A silversmith knows when the process is complete when he sees his own image reflected in the silver. The Lord will know my process is complete when he can see his own image in me. Worth it? Oh yes!

P: Father God I submit myself to your care. Mold me. Refine me. Purge me until I reflect you in this world and that when I see you face to face you will be pleased with my offering. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment