Monday, October 24, 2011

It's My Watch

October 24, 2011 Job 15, Acts 19, 20
S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer

S: Acts 20:28 “Therefore take heed to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseer, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood.”

O: Paul is giving words of wisdom, advice and instruction to the disciples before he departs. Paul tells them that they are charged with watching over the flock – God’s church.

A: Not only are the disciples to spread the Gospel, they are now to be the shepherds and watch over the people of God’s flock. The power of the Holy Spirit enables them to do so and it will be even more important as the flock comes under attack from predators looking to destroy it, regardless of the attackers’ motives. Am I ready to be an overseer / shepherd? I know I am capable of taking care of those I love, that’s a given. But as I grow in faith and mature as a Christian, it is my responsibility to help with the flock, especially since I “know better.” And only with the help of the Holy Spirit can I do this. Jesus paid in blood for our lives so I need to step up to the plate and do my part. I can watch for opportunities to minister in Christ’s name. I can live my life as an example to others who do not know Christ. I can reach out to followers and non-believers alike to help meet their needs. I can get out of my comfort zone and give testimony to help increase the flock.

P: God you are so good to us. You gave us Jesus who died for our sins, the Holy Spirit to empower our lives. God open my ears, my eyes and my heart so I may be one of your overseers that cares for Your flock here on Earth until Jesus comes. Get let it be Your way and not mine! Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment