Sunday, October 2, 2011

What kind of Shepherd am I?

Sunday, October 2, 2011 – Zechariah 13-14; Psalm 147; Luke 15

S – Luke 15:4 - What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he loses one of them, does he not leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness and go after the one that is lost until he finds it?
O: Jesus, through this parable, is sharing God’s heart for the lost. The missing sheep are those who are lost. Each one of us should be caring for the people around us as the shepherd cares for his flock.
A: What an awesome glimpse into the heart of the Father for the lost! The Word tells us that his desire is that “none should perish” but we should all have eternal life. I love Luke 15 and all the stories of “lost” things. Maybe it’s because I was lost once & I wasn’t sure I would ever find my way out. I didn’t. God found me. But what struck me this morning was not the lost sheep but the action of the shepherd. The shepherd didn’t simply moan and lament that his sheep was lost but he left the comfort and safety of his “flock” and struck out into the wilderness to find the lost sheep. He left his “comfort zone” and struck out into the unknown all to find one little lost sheep. He had 99 others at home……….so why leave the comfort of “home” to find just one? Because the one matters! The one matters. So how many times this month have I left the comfort of “home” or “church” or my “workplace” or my “social circle” to reach out for the one? It’s so easy to think someone else will go after my lost sheep or that “they” are better at this kind of stuff than I am anyway. I can even become resentful that “they” aren’t going after my sheep while I keep my feet firmly inside of my comfort zone. But what about the Father’s Heart? It is HIS heart that NONE should be lost. Once I was found I became part of His team. That means, like it or not, I am the shepherd in the parable and it’s my job to search out the lost. Like it or not there is someone out there who is lost that only I have the words to draw him or her into the flock. They’re not my words. They are the words God put in my heart just for this lost soul. I’m tired of being comfortable anyway!
P: Father God stretch me today Lord. I want my heart to be a reflection of yours in every area of my life. I want to be used by you Lord to bring one person back to the flock. Forgive me for all the times I walked by with blind eyes or pretended not to see. Give me courage to chase my lost sheep. Give me words to tell them about you. I want to hear the angels rejoicing Lord.! In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment