Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Don't Be Self-Seeking

by Vivian Bills

Wednesday 1/20/10 Gen 49,50; Ps 8; Luke 20

S - Luke 20:47 (NIV) They devour widows' houses and for a show make lengthy prayers. Such men will be punished most severely.

O - Jesus is speaking of the teachers of the law who love attention and love to be honored. And not only that, but they take advantage of those who have no husband to protect and care for them.

A - Is Jesus saying that all ambition is bad? I don't think so. He is saying that the motivation should not be selfish. We should not eat up all that is before us in order to be great amongst men. He said in Matthew 20:26 that whoever desires to be great must be servant of all.

P - Lord, I do not seek the favor of men. I look only for You to allow me to be in Your presence. I want only to do Your will, for You are my everything. What good are the praises of men if I don't have You? Be with me, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment